Practical strategies for managing hunger (4:23)
Adopt an acceptance-based approach (4:53)
Eat slow and savor (speed, focus while eating) (16:18)
- From perception to ingestion; the role of sensory properties in energy selection, eating behaviour and food intake
- Slow Down: Behavioural and Physiological Effects of Reducing Eating Rate
- Slow food, fast food and the control of food intake
Titrate your amount of non-lifting exercise (21:42)
- Homeostatic and non-homeostatic appetite control along the spectrum of physical activity levels: An updated perspective
- Acute and Chronic Effects of Exercise on Appetite, Energy Intake, and Appetite-Related Hormones: The Modulating Effect of Adiposity, Sex, and Habitual Physical Activity
- Weight-loss maintenance for 10 years in the National Weight Control Registry
Reduce meal-level energy density, and make the easy swaps first (35:57)
Opt for harder food textures (49:55)
Minimize foods that are hyperpalatable (53:01)
End the meal strategically (green tea, capsaicin) (1:02:14)
- Effects of capsaicin, green tea and CH-19 sweet pepper on appetite and energy intake in humans in negative and positive energy balance
Eat enough fiber and protein (1:07:29)
- Dietary fibres in the regulation of appetite and food intake. Importance of viscosity
- Effect of short- and long-term protein consumption on appetite and appetite-regulating gastrointestinal hormones, a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
Summary of strategies (1:15:31)
Strategies for bulking / weight gain (1:16:36)
Conclusions and practical applications (1:25:28)
Support the podcast
Join the Research Spotlight newsletter: Get a two-minute breakdown of one recent study every Wednesday. Our newsletter is the easiest way to stay up to date with the latest exercise and nutrition science.
- If you want to learn more about our MacroFactor diet app, check it out here.
- To join in on the MacroFactor conversation, check out our Facebook group and subreddit.
- Get personalized training and nutrition plans from our expert coaches: Learn more here
MASS Research Review
- Subscribe to the MASS Research Review to get concise and applicable breakdowns of the latest strength, physique, and nutrition research – delivered monthly.
- BulkSupplements: Next time you stock up on supplements from BulkSupplements.com, be sure to use the promo code “SBSPOD” (all caps) to get 5% off your entire order.
- Sports Nutrition Association: Learn more or become a member of SNA. The Sports Nutrition Association is dedicated to ensuring the sustainable prosperity of the Sports Nutrition Profession, and they offer a unique pathway to robust insurance coverage for your sports nutrition business.