Time Stamps, Sources, and Links
0:00 – Intro
0:27 – What’s on your mind?
10:03 – Plugs and recommendations
- Stronger By Science Coaching
- Bulksupplements.com: SBSPOD = 5% discount
- MacroFactor nutrition app
- MASS research review
- Stronger by Science Facebook group
- Stronger by Science subreddit
- Newsletter: Study breakdowns sent to your inbox every other week (podcast off weeks)
- Send your Q&A questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
13:53 – Sweet Dreams cereal
- Washington post article
- Post Consumer Brands page
- PR statement about the cereal
- Business insider article about cereal and sleep aid markets
36:06 – Other pre-sleep food brands/claims – Nightfood and Sleepy Chocolate
44:33 – Ingredients purported to improve sleep: Zinc, Folic Acid, B Vitamins, Lavender, Chamomile, Typrophan, Magnesium, Melatonin, and Valerian
- Lavender research: One, two, three
- Chamomile research: One, two, three
- Vitamin B12 research: One, two, three, four
- Tryptophan research: One, two
- Magnesium research: One, two
- Valerian: One, two
1:30:14 – Recommendations for pre-sleep meal/snacks
- Sleep Foundation article
- Eric’s MASS article (needs MASS subscription)
- Dietary melatonin
- Skepticism about dietary melatonin
- Kiwi research: One, two, three, four
1:46:40 – Sugar/Carbohydrates
2:01:20 – Protein
2:03:47 – Fat
2:07:20 – General wrap-up and final thoughts
2:10:57 – Should you still eat protein before bed if doing so decreases sleep quality?
2:15:09 – Do you need a slow-digesting protein before sleep?
2:25:09 – Are there benefits of eating additional total calories (including carbs and carbohydrate) right before bed?
More from the SBS Team
- Work with a Stronger By Science coach: Get personalized training and nutrition plans and ongoing support from one of our expert coaches.
- Try MacroFactor for free: Use code SBS to get a 14-day free trial of our nutrition app MacroFactor. MacroFactor has the fastest food logger on the market and its smart nutrition coach adapts to your metabolism to keep you on track with your goals. Download it today on the App Store or Google Play.
- Join the Research Spotlight newsletter: Get a two-minute breakdown of one recent study every Wednesday. Our newsletter is the easiest way to stay up to date with the latest exercise and nutrition science.
- Join the SBS Facebook group and Subreddit.
- BulkSupplements: Next time you stock up on supplements, be sure to use the promo code “SBSPOD” (all caps) to get 5% off your entire order.
- MASS Research Review: Subscribe to the MASS Research Review to get concise and applicable breakdowns of the latest strength, physique, and nutrition research – delivered monthly.