Taxonomy of physical activity (4:45)
Benefits of physical activity (12:33)
Exercise snacks (13:54)
Step counts (20:21)
- Daily Step Count and All-Cause Mortality: A Dose-Response Meta-analysis of Prospective Cohort Studies
- Daily steps and all-cause mortality: a meta-analysis of 15 international cohorts
General physical activity guidelines (25:38)
Benefits of exercise for fat loss (33:58)
- Homeostatic and non-homeostatic appetite control along the spectrum of physical activity levels: An updated perspective
- Acute and Chronic Effects of Exercise on Appetite, Energy Intake, and Appetite-Related Hormones: The Modulating Effect of Adiposity, Sex, and Habitual Physical Activity
- Weight-loss maintenance for 10 years in the National Weight Control Registry
Why exercise causes less fat loss than you’d expect (43:01)
Exercise energy compensation and the constrained total energy expenditure model (49:08)
Factors impacting energy compensation (55:26)
- Energy compensation and adiposity in humans
- Physical Activity and Total Daily Energy Expenditure in Older US Adults: Constrained versus Additive Models
- Exercise Calorie Calculator
High-intensity interval training versus low-intensity steady-state training (1:06:48)
- Slow and Steady, or Hard and Fast? A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Studies Comparing Body Composition Changes between Interval Training and Moderate Intensity Continuous Training
- Extraordinary Claims in the Literature on High-Intensity Interval Training: II. Are the Extraordinary Claims Supported by Extraordinary Evidence?
- Extraordinary claims in the literature on high-intensity interval training (HIIT): IV. Is HIIT associated with higher long-term exercise adherence?
Concurrent training and the interference effect (1:13:35)
- Compatibility of Concurrent Aerobic and Strength Training for Skeletal Muscle Size and Function: An Updated Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
Best practices for concurrent training (1:21:34)
Basic guidelines for intensity and duration (per session of cardio) (1:25:38)
Summary and conclusions (1:30:06)
Support the podcast
Join the Research Spotlight newsletter: Get a two-minute breakdown of one recent study every Wednesday. Our newsletter is the easiest way to stay up to date with the latest exercise and nutrition science.
- If you want to learn more about our MacroFactor diet app, check it out here.
- To join in on the MacroFactor conversation, check out our Facebook group and subreddit.
- Get personalized training and nutrition plans from our expert coaches: Learn more here
MASS Research Review
- Subscribe to the MASS Research Review to get concise and applicable breakdowns of the latest strength, physique, and nutrition research – delivered monthly.
- BulkSupplements: Next time you stock up on supplements from BulkSupplements.com, be sure to use the promo code “SBSPOD” (all caps) to get 5% off your entire order.
- Sports Nutrition Association: Learn more or become a member of SNA. The Sports Nutrition Association is dedicated to ensuring the sustainable prosperity of the Sports Nutrition Profession, and they offer a unique pathway to robust insurance coverage for your sports nutrition business.