Support the Podcast
MASS Research Review
- Get the free 130-page “Best Of” issue of MASS Research Review. This brand new “Best Of” issue of MASS contains 5 articles, 2 videos, and 10 Research Brief articles breaking down some of the best and most relevant nutrition, strength, and physique research from 2021-2022.
- Subscribe to the MASS Research Review during the big anniversary sale (ending May 3).
- If you want to learn more about our MacroFactor diet app, check it out here.
- To join in on the MacroFactor conversation, check out our Facebook group and subreddit.
Finally, next time you stock up on supplements from BulkSupplements.com, be sure to use the promo code “SBSPOD” (all caps) to get 5% off your entire order.
Intro/Announcements: MASS Anniversary Sale (0:00)
Feats of Strength (4:04)
Road to the Stage / Road to Athens (8:13)
Coach’s Corner: Training around hip pain (11:26)
SBS Article Discussion: Building Muscle in a Caloric Deficit: Context is Key (20:25)
Research Roundup: MASS anniversary edition (44:06)
A Heuristic For Estimating Energy Expenditure During Resistance Training (44:34)
The Bench Press May Target Different Muscles in Male and Female Lifters (55:06)
Attentional Focus May Influence Strength Development (1:02:53)
The Interference Effect is Getting Less Scary by the Day (1:20:39)
An Update on Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy (1:21:01)
Extra-quick summaries (1:35:37)
- Replacing Animal Proteins With Plant Proteins: Are There Any Downsides?
- Collagen Protein Isn’t Great for Promoting Muscle Hypertrophy
- Adding Another Layer to the Energy Compensation Discussion
- Is Everything That’s Measured Worth Managing?
- Cold Exposure For Fat Loss: Physiology Can Be “Cool” Without Being Useful
- When and How are Flexible Templates Actually Useful?
- The Link Between Overtraining and Low Energy Availability
- The Most Comprehensive Look at Proximity to Failure Yet
- Time-Efficient Programming Strategies
- Periodizing Singles in Powerlifting Training
To Play Us Out: Why reading is bad, and media recommendations (1:47:42)