Support the podcast
- MacroFactor: Learn more about our MacroFactor diet app. To join in on the MacroFactor conversation, check out our Facebook group and subreddit.
- Sign up for the Research Spotlight newsletter: If you’d like to receive our Research Spotlight emails, sign up for our email list.
- Join the community: To join in on the SBS conversation, check out our Facebook group and subreddit.
- Bulk Supplements: Finally, next time you stock up on supplements from BulkSupplements.com, be sure to use the promo code “SBSPOD” (all caps) to get 5% off your entire order.
Road to the Stage / Road to Athens (4:00)
Feats of Strength (7:36)
- John Haack deadlifts 903 lbs / 410 kg
- John Haack 600lb bench
- Emil Lundgren 200kg / 441lb bench
- Carlos Nasar 208kg clean and jerk
Contextualized Clarifications: Reverse Dieting (10:37)
- The Metabolic Adaptation Manual: Problems, Solutions, And Life After Weight Loss
- Reduced adaptive thermogenesis during acute protein-imbalanced overfeeding is a metabolic hallmark of the human thrifty phenotype
Research Review: Bodybuilding Mortality (34:26)
- Do Pro Bodybuilders Die Younger Than Average?
- MP47-17 RATES OF MORTALITY ARE HIGHER AMONG PROFESSIONAL MALE BODYBUILDERS
Coach’s Corner: Sleep and Circadian Rhythm Stuff (55:08)
- Effects of light on human circadian rhythms, sleep and mood
- Sleep Hygiene for Optimizing Recovery in Athletes: Review and Recommendations
How important is “optimizing” biomechanics for hypertrophy? (1:03:21)
How’s the transition from a meat-heavy omnivorous diet to a vegetarian diet? (1:18:57)
Should you stop taking creatine before and/or during a water cut? (1:23:33)
When tracking macros, how should we account for low-quality proteins like collagen? (1:26:27)
What are your personal and professional opinions on designated bouts of low-intensity cardio at a certain percentage of maximum heart rate versus step counts? Would either option be superior to the other? (1:39:44)
Do artificial sweeteners increase appetite, food cravings, or caloric intake at a subsequent meal? (1:49:39)
- NPR: Diet soda may prompt food cravings, especially in women and people with obesity
- Obesity and Sex-Related Associations With Differential Effects of Sucralose vs Sucrose on Appetite and Reward Processing
- Effects of nonnutritive sweeteners on body weight and BMI in diverse clinical contexts: Systematic review and meta-analysis
To Play Us Out: Thanking Big Pharma (2:07:37)