Support the podcast
- Check out a free issue of the MASS Research Review. If you’re interested in taking advantage of our MASS Black Friday sale (November 22 – November 29), you can subscribe at https://www.strongerbyscience.com/mass/
- MacroFactor: Learn more about our MacroFactor diet app. To join in on the MacroFactor conversation, check out our Facebook group and subreddit.
- Sign up for the Research Spotlight newsletter: If you’d like to receive our Research Spotlight emails, sign up for our email list.
- Join the community: To join in on the SBS conversation, check out our Facebook group and subreddit.
- Bulk Supplements: Finally, next time you stock up on supplements from BulkSupplements.com, be sure to use the promo code “SBSPOD” (all caps) to get 5% off your entire order.
Intro/Announcements: MASS Black Friday Sale (0:00)
Road to the Stage / Road to Enlightenment (3:17)
Feats of Strength (21:20)
Tech Support: Knowledge base, database expansion, public roadmap (28:05)
Research Review (32:28)
- Cooling during exercise enhances performances, but the cooled body areas matter: A systematic review with meta-analyses
- Effect of two recovery methods on repeated closed-handed and open-handed weight-assisted pull-ups
- Resistance exercise inter-set cooling strategy: effect on performance and muscle damage
- Palm cooling delays fatigue during high-intensity bench press exercise
- Intermittent Palm Cooling’s Impact on Resistive Exercise Performance
- Work volume and strength training responses to resistive exercise improve with periodic heat extraction from the palm
Contextualized Clarifications: Low-calorie diets, age-related protein considerations, and positive aspects of cardio (59:56)
Low-calorie diets (1:00:49)
Age-related protein considerations (1:13:57)
- Anabolic Resistance of Muscle Protein Turnover Comes in Various Shapes and Sizes
- Protein Requirements for Master Athletes: Just Older Versions of Their Younger Selves
- Should You Cut Before You Bulk?: How Body-Fat Levels Affect Your P-Ratio
Positive aspects of cardio and physical activity (1:22:23)
- Exercise and longevity
- Compatibility of Concurrent Aerobic and Strength Training for Skeletal Muscle Size and Function: An Updated Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
“If I’m not in a hurry to get somewhere in my fitness journey, what would happen if I just progress incrementally by adding half (or even a quarter of) a pound to the bar each week, and concentrate on good form, technique, and contraction?” (1:33:41)
“What factors seem to be predictive of successful weight loss maintenance?” (1:38:59)
“In terms of training, what’s the most I can get done in the least amount of time?” (1:48:17)
- The Minimum Effective Training Dose Required to Increase 1RM Strength in Resistance-Trained Men: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
“How big of a deal are the negative effects of NSAIDs on hypertrophy?” (1:54:29)
- High doses of anti-inflammatory drugs compromise muscle strength and hypertrophic adaptations to resistance training in young adults
To Play Us Out: The grave consequences of Fat Bear Week (2:00:34)